Monday, July 31, 2006

Commons Committee Slams Drugs Classification

The cross-party House of Commons Select Committee on Science and Technology has called for a wide-ranging reform of the drug classification system. The committee's report highlights the fact that the existing categorization is based on the criminal penalties as opposed to the physical and social harms associated with different drugs. The committee has called for a more scientific approach to drug categorization. This is a positive result for all those interested in a more rational approach to drug laws.

The full report can be read here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That BBC rating is totally bonkers, why is ketamine so high?

And why are solvents less dangerous than cannabis? How many people does cannabis kill a year even indirectly, I'd be certain its less than solvents.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I see, I didnt realise that was the ACMD list, seems very strange to me. Though having said that I've heard mixed things about Nutt.

As for black market ecstacy being mixed with other chemicals, this isnt true and hasnt really ever been the majority. I've got a research paper looking into this, but I cant attach it.

Ali G said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.